Tuesday, May 21, 2019

To the gods, we look like dogs

Long time, no blog. I've been printing t-shirts and writing things and painting and building a fence and being extremely ill for a little over 24 hours. It was weird to suddenly feel that sick and require Pedialyte and saltines. You know how when you haven't vomited in a while you forget how horrible it is?*

The fence is nearly complete, with just the gate left to build. I conveniently fell ill in the midst of the hole digging, so I was able to wake from a feverish sleep and look out the window and see several more fence panels than there'd been before I took to my bed.

Fence inspectors


Isaac is home for the summer, which is wonderful, but I must mention that I'm typing this blorg post at 5:00 in the morning because he went out to play basketball around 9pm and when I woke up around 3:00 he wasn't home yet and I knew he hadn't brought his phone, and I was thinking anxious thoughts including trying to remember exactly what he was wearing in case I had to describe his outfit to the police later. When he finally came home at 4:30, the sunrise soon began to bother me so I got up.

I need to tell you, I've seen so many amazing birds over the last week or two, including red-winged blackbirds and bobolinks (I stopped a birder to ask what these were — "Those little black birds with yellow heads swooping around that field?" He was like a Lemony Snicket character, with his binoculars and his smug certainty, but I was glad to have an answer). Mark bought me a hummingbird feeder, and I was worried because never in my life have I seen a hummingbird anywhere near our yard, but guess what?? Not only did we immediately spot them on the feeder, but I also saw several in our neighbor's flowering tree and then maybe a dozen in our other neighbor's flowering shrub!

Before I forget, I've been meaning to recommend Nick Cave's newsletter (that's the musician Nick Cave, not the visual/performance artist). It's pretty wonderful.



*Initially I thought it was food poisoning, which would've been a real bummer since Mark and Matt ate the same thing I did that day, falafel from our favorite falafel place, and not only was I bereft at the thought of getting food poisoning from the best falafel place, I was also imagining the fence project grinding to a halt as all three of us succumbed to vomitousness. I guess it was rotavirus?

No comments: