Sunday, December 01, 2013

Make a List

1. I remembered part of my dream when I woke up--I haven't been, lately. I had a little boy, a toddler, a sort-of-Isaac child. I kept forgetting and losing track of him. We were trying to find a place to settle down for the night, wandering from room to room in an office/academic building lit with bright fluorescent lights, often full of people. I kept saying, "It's fine, but I do have to get up at five thirty..." The little boy said his first words, a full sentence, something to the effect of, "I could decide to be a fire fighter when I grow up." I was so proud.

2. I'm feeling determined to enjoy every second of this month, to set aside worrying about money or making things perfect, as much as I can. I look forward to baking, to pine cones and evergreen and candlelight and, ultimately, to eating with (most of) my entire extended family at a long table.

3. There will be fourteen humans at Christmas this year (we are missing our girl), four dogs, and one cat, although we are thinking we'll set him up at Jason's apartment rather than let him be overwhelmed by canine admirers.

4. We stained the bathroom floor last night before bed, Mark and me on our hands and knees spreading dark brown on the old mismatched boards. I think it's going to look great, and I know that six hours later it is incredibly stinky.

No comments: