Monday, January 10, 2011

life is either a daring adventure or nothing


















i spent an awful lot of time yesterday watching their plane move across the world, coming strangely close to the north pole as it made its way to hong kong, where they had a layover before continuing to bangkok. this route makes more sense when you look at it on a rounded image of the earth, by the way. according to my calculations, they landed in bangkok about five minutes ago, which is actually twelve hours in the future. the whole thing is a little bit mind-blowing.

as for me, i reacted to her departure by furiously organizing odd parts of my house, including a coat closet we hardly ever use and the shelf where we keep tea. oh, and also the tupperware/lid situation is now copacetic.

also, i watched the entire first season of toddlers and tiaras.

thank goodness for the dancer, who fetched me in her car, bought me a chocolate chip cookie, and fed me some delicious lentil and portabella mushroom soup. we also went for a walk in the bright, cold sunshine.

7 comments:

Dancer said...

You're very welcome!

Dancer said...

You're very welcome...

Danni said...

I am really jealous of Zoe. I'm trying not to be bitter. Maybe someday by some stroke of luck I'll have that type of opportunity again. I'm proud of her for taking full advantage.

Liz Woodbury said...

me too, danni - on both counts! it's pretty fun to get to do it vicariously, and to marvel at how much braver she is than i was at her age (braver than i am now, for that matter!).

Logical Libby said...

I am very jealous. She is going to have a wonderful time. Safe travels!

Zoë said...

i am seriously looking forward to coming home to a perfectly organized tea shelf. you cannot know how many times i've been temped to do that myself! also, i wish i could've enjoyed the entire first season of toddlers and tiaras with you! i love you, mom.

Liz Woodbury said...

thanks, libby!

z, there will be plenty of time for watching toddlers and tiaras, never you fear! i love you too, bean!